Interesting Water Facts
- Water is the most common substance found on earth.
- The only water we will ever have is what we have now.
- Water is the only substance on earth naturally found in the three true element forms: solid, liquid, and gas.
- In a 100-year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
- Each day the sun evaporates 1,000,000,000,000 (a trillion) tons of water.
- 80% of the earth's surface is water; 97% of the earth's water is the oceans and seas.
- 66% of your body is water; bones are 25% water; human blood is 83% water.
- A person can survive without food for more than 30 days, but less than a week without water.
- For every 2.31 feet you are submerged below a body of water's surface, there is 1 pound per square inch of pressure equally placed on your body.
- The first water pipes made in the U.S. were fire-charred, bored-out logs.
Back to top.
This site was updated
June 25, 2013
City of Longmont Public Works and Natural Resources Department