Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

J.B. Thompson House
537 Terry Street

Landmark Designation: 1980

Construction Date: ca. 1887

Architectural Style: Queen Anne

John Thompson came to Longmont in 1871 with his second wife, Maude Wirt, whom he married in 1895. His first wife, Kitty Hubbard, died in 1893 after their marriage of 27 years.

Mr. Thompson was an incorporator of the narrow gauge Longmont and Erie Railroad in 1878. He went into the hardware business in 1877, located at 346 Main Street. He was Town Clerk in 1875, Town Treasurer in 1883, and was elected Mayor in 1888. He was also director of the First National Bank, a charter member of the First Congregational Church and active in civic affairs.

In addition to being a public-spirited citizen, he was also a humorist. Before he arrived in Colorado, he wrote a satirical poem about the advantages of the Colorado climate (Experiments in Colorado Colonization). In later years, he wrote humorous articles for the Longmont Call known now as the Longmont Times-Call. He was also the first to lead the town in noisy celebrations whenever the occasion called for it.

Reference
HPC 1980-2