William Butler House
255 Pratt Street
Landmark Designation: 1978
Construction Date: 1884
Architectural Style: Second
This house is an outstanding example of Victorian architecture which has
been meticulously restored by the owner. It is a two-story structure with painted
stucco over double brick walls for the first story and zinc over single brick
walls for the mansard roof, which is the second story. It is the only house
in the original square mile of the town which has a mansard roof.
Original owner, William Butler, known as "Billy" was a Colorado
pioneer of 1859 and a Civil War veteran. Mr. Butler, an ordained minster,
operated a greenhouse at 301 Kimbark Street. He was active in community, church
and fraternal work. He was known for his straight posture and his physical
vigor. Mr. Bulter would ride his bicycle daily around town and climbed Long's
Peak at the age of 85.