Judge Secor House
247 Pratt Street
Landmark Designation: 1988
Construction Date: 1903
Architectural Style: Vernacular
Franklin Pearce Secor came to Longmont in 1881 becoming a bookkeeper for
his brother W.W. Secor who had been in the Longmont area since 1865. A short
time later he joined his other brother D.E. Secor to run the Imperial
Hotel. He gave up the partnership with his brother in order to study law
under Colonel Byron Carr. He was admitted to the Colorado Bar in 1883 and
joined Colonel Carr's law firm.
He was elected a member of the school board serving as secretary from 1886
to 1890. During this time he helped organized the first Longmont High School
and to plan the course of study.
In 1891, Attorney Secor was elected a member of the Colorado legislature
serving two years in the lower house. During this same year the Secors built
a fine brick home at 318
In 1894 Colonel Carr was elected Attorney General of Colorado. Upon taking
office Colonial Carr appointed F.P. Secor assistant attorney general, a post
he held throughout Colonel Carr's term in office.
In 1895, due to the poor health of his wife, Sara, the Secor's sold their
home and moved to Chicago. While in Chicago, Secor engaged in the practice
of law with the firm of Washburn, Secor and Munger.
The Secor family returned to Longmont late in the year 1902. They started
construction of their new home at 247 Pratt in January of 1903 moving into
the finished home in July 1903. Upon his return to Longmont, Secor resumed
his law practice.
During the years 1909 and 1910, Frank Secor served as mayor of Longmont.
It was during these years, after having read a magazine article entitled "The
White Cola of Switzerland" he started formulating the idea of a municipal
light and power plant for Longmont. His interest and influence over the next
two years provoked sufficient interest among Longmonters that the project
was initiated. After some hard work they project was completed at a cost of
During his life he held several titles and offices with many fraternal and
After the death of F.P. and Sara, the home was passed on to their son, Gray.
Gray Secor, like his father, was an active community member. He was a member
of the Boulder County and Colorado Bar Associations and also served many positions
with the county and state Republication organizations.