Royal Hubbard House
243 Pratt Street
Landmark Designation: 1985
Construction Date: 1873
Architectural Style: Vernacular
R.M. Hubbard joined the Chicago-Colorado Colony in 1871, moving here from
Cleveland, Ohio. He took a job in a brick yard, but he was soon hired by E.F.
Beckwith, postmaster, as a deputy clerk. When Beckwith resigned to begin
publishing the Longmont Press, Hubbard was recommended for the position, and
he served as postmaster for 14 years. Hubbard also owned a grocery store,
in connection with the post office, with partner with H.C. Woodworth. Following
the dissolution of this partnership 18 months later, H.W.
Preston joined him. The September 1879 fire (known as "The Great
Fire") destroyed most of the block along with their grocery store. Hubbard
immediately rebuilt and continued the business until his death. After his
death, Hubbard's wife Adelaide Easton, Longmont's first school teacher, continued
the business, assisted by her four children.
The house remained in the Hubbard family until 1962 when it was purchased
to be used as a parking lot. Hubbard's granddaughter, Havis Motisher, in efforts
to preserve the structure, formed an agreement with the St. Vrain Valley Historical
Society that she would pay all costs of moving it to an available site adjacent
to Old Mill
Park. In 1971 the house was moved from its Terry Street location to the
current site. The house remains in Havis Motisher's ownership until her or
her husband's death at which time, the property will transfer ownership to
Vrain Historical Society.