Old Mill Park
237 - 239 Pratt Street
Landmark Designation: 1994
Construction Date: 1859-1880's
Architectural Style: Various
Old Mill Park is an area which the St.
Vrain Historical Society has developed into a historic park on land which
was the site of the town's second flour mill. In this park are, at present,
the Townley House, the Hubbard House, the Hauck Milk House, the Affolter Cabin,
the Mill Pond. the Billings Cabin and the Secor Centennial Garden.
The flour mill, operated by J.W.
Denio, et. al., burned down in 1934 and the area was sold and replatted
into city lots. However, part of the mill and railroad site remained open
and was donated by the Secor family to the St. Vrain Historical Society.
The Townley House was one of the first permanent houses in the Chicago-Colorado
Colony; it was built in 1871. Townley was the first elected treasurer of the
The Hubbard House was built in 1876 and moved to this site from 527 Terry
Street in 1971. Royal Hubbard was a member of the Chicago-Colorado Colony
and second postmaster.
The Hauck Milk House is a stone structure built around 1860 by Robert A.
Hauck on the Hauck farm, seven or eight miles east of Longmont in Weld County,
on land given to him by Chief Niwot. The milk house was moved stone by stone
and reconstructed in this park. Hauck helped to build the first cabin in Boulder
City and the first rural school in the Colorado Territory.
The Affolter Cabin was originally built in 1860 south of Haystack Mountain
on Left-Hand Creek, and is possibly the oldest existent cabin in Boulder County.
It was donated to the Historical Society by the Dodd family and relocated
to the park.
The pond is the only remaining portion of the Longmont Flour Mill that burned
to the ground in 1934. The City of Longmont provided funds for the creation
of the Ditch Run and Mill Wheel as a Centennial-Bicentennial Project.
The Billings Cabin, built in 1890, was part of a hunting and fishing resort
west of Lyons. Billy Bolyes dismantled and numbered the logs of the cabin
when the City of Longmont created Buttonrock Dam in the area. In 1980 the
logs were reassembled in Old Mill Park.
The Secor Centennial Garden is an area in the Park that was donated in memory
of the pioneer Secor family who gardened extensively in the area. The Victorian
gazebo was relocated from 411 Coffman Street.
All of these structures were important to the development of this area and
have been preserved by the St.
Vrain Historical Society in the interests of education and the preservation
of our heritage.
St. Vrain Historical Society