Carlton Calkins Commercial Building
416 Main Street
Landmark Designation: 1996
Construction Date: 1906
Architectural Style: 20th
The original ownership of the Carlton Calkins Building is vague, although
it is clear that Carlton Calkins was the civil engineer on the project. The
building was constructed in three separate units. The street level was divided
into two equal spaces. One unit, 418 Main, was leased to Worleys Book Store,
the other unit, 420 Main Street, was leased to Booth Flemming Co. (dry goods).
The upper level's use was that of a boarding house called "The Carlton".
believed to be owned and operated by Mrs. Calkins.
Carlton Calkins completed his education at Union College, Chicago, where
he received a degree in civil engineering in 1868. While in Chicago looking
for work he saw an advertisement for "The Chicago Colorado Colony".
He obtained Certificate #57 in the Colony and, with wife Catherine arrived
in Longmont in 1871. He did many jobs, although best known for his surveying
that he did for the colonists. In 1875 he purchased land northeast of Longmont,
which extended his holdings to 640 acres. This land bordered Union Reservoir
(call Calkins Lake). Calkins built the large reservoir in a dry depression
on his land. Calkins built his first home in the 300 block on Coffman Street,
after retiring from farming in 1895 he built another home on 4th and Bowen.
It was after his move to town that Calkins turned his attention back to civil
engineering on a full time basis. He was instrumental in the building of the
flour mill in Longmont, Denver and several small elevators throughout Colorado
and Utah. He was a well-known business man in the area and for 45 years he
was director of the Farmers National Bank that he helped organize.