J.J. Beasley-Sheeder Drug
372 Main Street
Landmark Designation: 1990
Construction Date: 1886
Architectural Style: 19th
In 1860, James Jackson Beasley came to Denver from Missouri with a large
herd of beef cattle to sell. During the next six years he sold livestock,
making three trips to Missouri to buy more stock. In 1863, he brought his
family to Colorado and located on a farm in Jefferson County. He became County
Commissioner and promoted better roads and irrigation projects. In the winter
of 1871, Beasley bought 240 acres on Boulder creek and relocated his family
there, beginning the long tradition of Beasley families in this area. J.J.
Beasley was an early promoter of irrigation projects for the Lefthand and
Boulder Creek Districts.
J.J. Beasley purchased the property at 372 Main Street in 1886, constructed
the building and sold the property and building in 1887. During the next several
years, the building changed hands and in 1945, Gaylord Sheeder purchased the
Gaylord Sheeder got his start in the pharmacy business at a local drug store
while still a high school student in Guthrie Center, Iowa. After graduating
from high school in 1930, he attended Capital Commercial College of Pharmacy
in Des Moines. After a year in Des Moines, he decided to move to the Capital
College of Pharmacy in Denver. Gaylord and his wife, Margaret lived in Boulder
for a year and a half before moving to La Junta where Mr. Sheeder worked at
the La Junta Drugstore for nine months. They then moved to Lamar for a short
period before moving to Florence for eight years then to Loveland. After a
short stay in Loveland, they moved back to Boulder, all these moves coming
in his first ten years as a pharmacist.
In 1945, Sheeder heard that a Longmont pharmacy was for sale. He bought the
business and opened on July 1st. In time the store's work force grew to twelve
employees to handle the soda fountain and retail sales. By 1950, though, the
fountain was closed and the number of workers had shrunk to three.
Over the years, Sheeder Pharmacy became a downtown institution known for
friendly service. An era of family-run drugstores, including Lute's
and Longmont Drug, came to a close in July, 1987 when Gaylord Sheeder decided
to retire and closed the pharmacy.