301 Main Street
Landmark Designation: 1977
Construction Date: 1881
Architectural Style: Italianate
This hotel was planned by the original Chicago-Colorado Colony group in 1871.
However, the hotel was not built until 1880-81 and was built by a wealthy
miner name George Zweck. Longmont did not have a "water works" until
1882, but the bathroom facilities were provided via water hauled from the
St. Vrain and stored in three brick cisterns. A coal stove was placed in every
other room for heat.
From the day of its opening, the Zweck family was the center of important
business and social activities. In 1894, it became the property of Mr. and
Mrs. Charles Allen, who managed it for many years. In 1971, the hotel was
purchased and remodeled into apartments and small shops, thus ending its life
as a hotel.