Old City Electric Building
103 Main Street
Landmark Designation: 1997
Construction Date: 1931
Architectural Style: Factory
The Old City Electric Building was the second building used as an electric
generating station by the City of Longmont. It has interest as part of the
development of Longmont, and the need for increasing electric generation.
Longmont was one of the first cities to develop a municipally-owned electric
generation plant, and this building served as a generation plant, growing
as the community grew, from 1931 until 1969.
This building is an excellent example of 1930s industrial architecture. Its
large windows, open plan, and solid brick construction all are hallmarks of
industrial design at that time.
The Old City Electric Building was probably built by Frank C. Wiggins, a
local builder who also built the Longmont
Carnegie Library, the building at 370 Main, an addition to the old Longmont
High School at 820 Main, and the Inn
Between at 250 Kimbark Street.