Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Great Western Hotel
250 Kimbark Street

Landmark Designation: 1993

Construction Date: 1919

Architectural Style: Tudor Revival

In 1919 the Great Western Sugar Company built this hotel as a 100 man dormitory (50 rooms, 2 men each) so that their administrative and factory management personnel could move easily from other sites. The sugar beet industry was a keystone of Longmont's economy, and this hotel has played more than one role in keeping that economy alive over the 84 years of its history. It was one of the largest hotels of its kind built by the Sugar Company, and its completion created an immediate influx of new families into Longmont which continued for many years. As one of the largest buildings in Longmont, the Hotel was also used as a community resource. Its large dining room was used often for social events in the 1920's.

In 1943, it was remodeled and used to house up to 180 Italian and German prisoners of war. The beet and farming industries were vital to Longmont's economy, and when World War II created a severe drain on local manpower, area farmers who needed workers formed associations that contracted with the army for POW labor. County wage boards held hearings and then decided on wage rates for the different classes of agricultural labor. The farmers paid the government the usual rate for labor, and after paying the prisoners about eighty cents a day, the government gave the difference to the army for camp maintenance and rent, which paid to Great Western. Farmers often pooled their efforts to get these prisoners to the beet fields, since gas rationing was in effect. Having this extra source of income and labor helped to keep the economy going during the war.

In 1946, after the prisoners left, the Hotel was again remodeled into an apartment house.

Reference
HPC 1993-1