1309 Hover Road
Landmark Designation: 1997
National Register: 1999
Construction Date: 1913-1914
Architectural Style: Gothic
Charles Lewis Hover, born in 1867 in Wisconsin studied pharmacy at the University
of Wisconsin and then joined his brother in the wholesale drug business in
Denver where he met and married Katherine Avery in 1898. In 1902, Charles
purchased a 160 acre parcel of land on a dusty country lane west of Longmont
and retired to the quiet life of a gentleman farmer.
Katherine Hover was a fine pianist, having studied under Henry Housely who
was organist at the St. Johns Episcopal Cathedral and an outstanding teach
of the area. She also learned clock making and repair from her father who
was a jeweler and owned a jewelry store in Denver. After marrying Charles
and moving to Longmont, Katherine became active in the life of her church
and in musical activities of the community. Dinners were arranged to discuss
some of the projects of special interest to Charles. The family was honored
to entertain the Secretary of Agriculture, Jardine and other dignitaries at
In 1907, the Hovers adopted Beatrice. She was nine years old at the time
of her adoption. Beatrice attended the prestigious Wolcott School in Denver
and was a Girl Scout leader. Beatrice also took a correspondence course in
transcribing Braille and used her new talents for the benefit of many sightless
people. She engaged in many church activities and always gave supportive companionship
and steadfast love to her devoted parents.
Beatrice was happy to be apart of her mother's dream of creating a retirement
community where people of advanced age could live with dignity in an interesting
and comfortable atmosphere. Hover Manor made that dream a reality.
Hoverhome and the Hover
Farm have since been purchased by the St.
Vrain Historical Society and is used as an event center and hosts a variety
of functions from wedding ceremonies to corporate events.