Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Margaret Hertha House
615 Emery Street

Landmark Designation: 1986

Construction Date: 1883

Architectural Style: Edwardian Vernacular

Margaret Shilling Hertha was born in Germany in 1813. Along with her husband and first son John, she moved to the United States in 1840. Her family eventually settled in Illinois, where her husband died in 1874.

In 1868, Margaret's two oldest sons, John and William, moved to Longmont. John homesteaded a farm in 1868, where the Great Western Sugar Factory now stands. By 1892, John was recorded as owning 125 acres and a successful feed mill. In addition, he did custom thrashing for the Boulder County farmers. William moved to a small mining town in the County, where he worked and lived.

When John's first wife died in 1875, Margaret Hertha and her youngest son, Henry, moved to Longmont so she could care for John's six children.

The entire Hertha family are considered part of Longmont's original Chicago-Colorado Colony.

Reference
HPC 1986-5