St. Stephens Episcopal Church Rectory
513 Emery Street
Landmark Designation: 2002
Construction Date: 1894
Architectural Style: Edwardian
In 1881, the members of St. Stephens Episcopal Church completed their tidy
brick edifice on the corner of Main and 5th Avenue. Apparently, the need
to entice and keep a full-time pastor drove the fledgling church to construct
this rectory, on a lot belonging to the diocese. Sometime around 1900, fire
swept through the house, but, by 1902, water records indicate that the house
was once again inhabited. The structure served as a rectory or rental property
until it was sold in 1916.
This property is significant for its association with residential development
in Longmont, beginning in the late 1800's and extending through the first
half of the twentieth century, and for the development of religion in the
community. It is an indication of the struggle churches in pioneer towns faced
to keep full-time ministers.
The property is also associated with Fred Ferguson, who made important commercial
and political contributions to Longmont and Colorado during the early 1940's.
If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural
survey that was completed on the property in 2001.