426 Emery Street Longmont
Landmark Designation: 2004
Construction Date: 1885
Architectural Style: Vernacular
This house was built by Eben White, one of Longmont's preeminent pioneers.
He was born in Charlestown, Massachusetts on September 18, 1845. On July 24,
1862, he enlisted with the 36th Massachusetts Volunteers. He later joined
Company H of the Fifty Massachusetts Volunteers, where he served until the
end of the Civil War. He was a charter member of Chicago-Colorado Colony,
arriving in newly-named Longmont on May 6, 1871. From that time until 1874,
he drive the stage between Erie and Longmont, Before Longmont had its own
railroad connection. He dabbled in mining, holding claims in several and owning
the Tippecanoe and Eagle of the West mines. He soon sought a more stable income
and opened a grocery store in Longmont. He then served as a cashier at the
Emerson-Buckingham Bank before opening his own real estate, loan, and insurance
business. Smith moved from this house in 1880 to a much large brick structure
of the West Side. He died in 1922.
By 1881, the house at 426 Emery Street belonged to Clavin H. Smith, about
whom records say little. He resided here until 1885.
If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural
survey that was completed on the property in 2001.