Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Bemis-Rowen House
545 Collyer Street

Landmark Designation: 1985

Construction Date: 1886

Architectural Style: Four Square

The original owner of the house was D.M.L. Bemis as evidenced by City Water Permit #336 and reportedly the house was a single story structure.

In 1893, Matthew A. Rowen purchased the house and eight years later added the second story and bay window on the north side. Rowen came to Sunshine, Colorado at age 20 to work in the mines during the Gold Rush. Rowen later moved to Berthoud where he worked in the mercantile business until 1890. He came to Longmont at that time and entered the hardware business in a partnership known as Rowen, Sullivan and Dell. The firm later became the Sullivan and Rowen Company until Rowen retired in 1907. Mr. Rowen served as Alderman from 1907-1910 and 1917-1918.

If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural survey that was completed on the property in 2002.

HPC 1985-4