503 Collyer Street
Landmark Designation: 1987
Construction Date: 1883
Architectural Style: Edwardian
Little is known about George Atwood. He was an early Longmont merchant who
the Longmont Ledger reported was elected forman of Walter Buckingham Hook
and Ladder Company in April, 1883. By 1886, he had left Longmont to head the
newly opened branch of Butler Wyman and Atwood Implement Dealers in Denver,
James Harvey Jones came to Colorado in 1872 engaging in mining in the Blackhawk
district of Gilpin County and later, the Sunshine district of Boulder County.
In 1885 Jones came to Longmont to engage in business, and for a number of
years operated a general store on Main Street between 3rd and 4th Avenue,
finally selling the business. In 1892, he was elected treasurer of the newly
formed Longmont Electric Light Company.
James became one of the founders of Farmers National Bank, now First National
Bank of Longmont. As one of the founders, he was elected vice president in
1904. In 1941, he was name director of First National Bank for the 50th time.
The Jones' had no children and belonged to no organizations; yet he was active
in the community and had a good friendship with many fellow merchants.
If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural
survey that was completed on the property in 2002.