502 Collyer Street
Landmark Designation: 1978
Construction Date: 1883
Architectural Style: Queen
This house was built by Lorin Casandre Mead in 1883. Mr. Mead was an original
Chicago-Colorado Colonist and homesteaded northeast of town at Highland Lake.
He was a state Legislator in 1879 and Weld County Clerk. During his time of
ownership, Mr. Mead split his time between his home and his farm located near
the present community of Mead.
Over the years the home had many uses; from 1921 to 1929 the house was the
St. Vrain Hospital and from World War II until 1974 the house was used as
an apartment dwelling. Not until 1974 was the home completely rehabilitated
and returned to a single family dwelling.