Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Previous Home Next

Friend Wright House
824 Collyer Street

Landmark Designation: 1989

Construction Date: 1905

Architectural Style: Dutch Colonial

Friend E. Wright Sr. came to Longmont with his brother John T. Wright in 1882. He and John moved to Noland in 1884 to work on the Stone Mountain Railroad between Lyons and Noland. Friend was an engineer on the railroad, where he operated the Shay engines, a type of engine particularly suited for operation in Colorado's mountains.

Friend Wright Sr. returned to Longmont in 1886 and worked in the carpenters trade. His wife, the former Rosa Florence Reavill, was president of the McPherson Women's Relief Corps in 1904 and was active in the Capitol Hill Club, Entre Nous, and the Methodist Church.

HPC 1989-1