Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Designated Landmarks

Previous Home Next
428 Baker Street

Miller House
428 Baker Street

Landmark Designation: 2004

Construction Date: 1900

Architectural Style:Classic Cottage

The house at 428 Baker Street was constructed in 1900 for David and Belle Miller, who apparently had the adjacent house to the south constructed at the same time. David Miller was born in Wilkesville, Ohio in 1844, and arrived in Colorado Territory in 1865. He moved to Longmont at the turn of the twentieth century, and worked as a farmer until his death in December 1917. Belle (Douglas) Miller was born in 1850, came to Longmont with her husband, and died in June 1915. The Millers occupied this house from 1900 through 1906. For a short time around 1906, the house was occupied by S.E. and Fannie Davenport. (S.E. worked for the Great Western Sugar Company), and by E.M. Merriman. Merriman grew up in Longmont in the 1870s and went on to serve as the town's fire chief before moving to Los Angeles.

From 1907 through 1918, the house was occupied by Hannah Dobbins. Hannah Dobbins was born in 1843 in Uniontown, Ohio and came to Colorado in 1873 with her husband Samuel. They settled in Niwot, where they opened a small general store. One year later they moved to Longmont, opened a new store, and Samuel became involved with the Farmers' National Bank until his death in 1889. Hannah was a widow during the years she lived at 428 Baker Street and was heavily involved with the local chapter of the W.C.T.U. During the time that Hannah Dobbins lived in the house, it was also occupied for a short time around 1910 by Morris and Pearl Parks. Morris grew up in Longmont and was married in 1906 to Pearl Dillinger. He worked for a time as a foreman for the Empson Packing Co. and then opened a food processing business in Longmont.

Between 1919 and 1936, the house was occupied by James and Eva Stokes, along with their children, Marivene and Earl. James Stokes was born in 1886 in Illinois, grew up there, and lived for a time in Oklahoma before arriving in Longmont in 1906. He was employed in the cola mines near Erie as a miner for many years and worked on area farms during the harvest seasons as an engineer with a threshing crew. Eva was born in Richland, Missouri in 1888, traveled by covered wagon to Oklahoma, and arrived in Colorado in 1906. She married James Stokes in 1909 and worked as a laundress at the Longmont Hospital. During the late 1930s, the house was occupied by George Pierce, a local pharmacist.

If you would like to learn more about this property, please see our architectural survey that was completed on the property in 2003.

Reference
HPC 2004-12