Back to Last Page Visited
Navigation Bar Skip Navigation City Council Contact Us Search City Government
Department Contact
Back to our Homepage

Architectural Styles / Designated Landmark

William Butler House
255 Pratt Street

Landmark Designation: 1978

Construction Date: 1884

Architectural Style: Second Empire

This house is an outstanding example of Victorian architecture which has been meticulously restored by the owner. It is a two-story structure with painted stucco over double brick walls for the first story and zinc over single brick walls for the mansard roof, which is the second story. It is the only house in the original square mile of the town which has a mansard roof.

Original owner, William Butler, known as "Billy" was a Colorado pioneer of 1859 and a Civil War veteran. Mr. Butler, an ordained minster, operated a greenhouse at 301 Kimbark Street. He was active in community, church and fraternal work. He was known for his straight posture and his physical vigor. Mr. Bulter would ride his bicycle daily around town and climbed Long's Peak at the age of 85.

Reference
HPC 1978-1