Thompson Park- 4th & Bross
Thompson Park is one of the three parks designed into the original Chicago-Colorado
Colony town plat. The park is named after Elizabeth Rowell Thompson (1820-1899),
a renowned philanthropist, temperance reformer and abolitionist who lived
on the East Coast. A Boston reporter in 1899, called her the "founder
of Longmont, Colorado". Among her many contributions are: 20 memberships
in the Chicago-Colorado Colony which she purchased and gave to people who
needed a new start in life; 300 books and 3,000 prints and engravings, as
well as a Library Hall built in 1871, to house them, and the first party for
the citizens of the Colony in June, 1871, with entertainment, speeches and
a "magnificent banquet." The tradition of an annual banquet was
revived in 1970, with the first "Strawberry Festival."
Judge F.P. Secor rented Thompson Park for $14 per month to graze his and a
neighbor's milk cows. The ladies of the town planted trees in the park and
helped keep them alive with buckets of water from the St. Vrain -- trees that
still stand today and are identified in a brochure available from the Parks
and Forestry Services Office ("The Trees of Thompson Park"). They are also memorialized in an Art in Public Places gazebo with ceramic panels designed by Mario Echevarria and dedicated in 2007 (link to Art in Public Places). Early
in the last century, a bandstand was erected where the play structure now stands.
Longmont's Coronet Band and a Boy Scout Band gave regular concerts every summer.
The bandstand, in poor condition, was torn down in 1969. In addition, the park hosted Chautauqua
programs under a big tent as well as many community festivities like the Pumpkin
Pie Day celebration - with home-baked pies, coffee, cider and sandwiches served
free to all. Central Elementary School, which was designed in the original
Chicago Colony plan as a university campus, is located west of Thompson Park.
Thompson North Shelter and Thompson West Shelter
Play Area at Thompson Park
an area of 4.2 Acres, the park has 2 picnic shelters equipped with picnic tables and grills. The
southwestern shelter is nearest to playground and restrooms. (link to shelter reservations).
The park has two shelters which may be reserved for a $30.00 fee for resident and $37.50 for non-resident. Please note; effective for all 2009 reservations, the fee will be $35.00 for resident and $44.00 for non residents. Winterization of the park restrooms begins October 1. Reconstruction of the shelters and restroom began in August 2008. An open turf area and mature trees and plantings provide cool sanctuary on hot summer days. In 2007 the restroom was replaced with a new handicapped accessible facility.
- Restroom - Handicapped accessible
- Shelters - 2
- Parking Spaces - on-street, please be courteous of neighbors!
Back to List of Parks