Izaak Walton Park- 18 South
In September 2013, Longmont experienced the most devastating flash flood event in its history. The flooding caused extensive damage throughout Longmont. Many of our parks and trails were impacted.
Several areas of Izaak Walton Park are OPEN. Izaak Walton Clubhouse is OPEN. The fishing pier is OPEN; however, the north, east and south sides of the fishing pond are CLOSED. The St. Vrain Greenway trail in this area is also CLOSED.
Please be sure to review the most up-to-date closure information due to flood damage and repair activities, found on the City's flood information website: bit.ly/flood-info
Izaak Walton Park was donated to
City of Longmont in 1989 by the V.V. Golden Foundation. Used for nearly half
a century by the Izaak Walton League for sport fishing and skeet-shooting,
this facility sat unimproved until 1999. The new building is surrounded by park improvements including native
vegetation, wildlife habitat enhancements and passive recreational activities. This District Park site
is 21.5 acres in size which includes a 15.7 acre pond. The park is also
a trail head along the St. Vrain Greenway. Gather Enough People Here is a mechanical art piece installed by Robert Tully in 1999, and is found at the southwestern corner of the pond. The pond was dedicated as a youth fishing pond.
Restrooms are available in the winter.
Please keep your dog on a leash and pick up after your pet.
Clark Kids' Fishing Program
15.7 acre pond is managed as a recreational fishery for the exclusive use
of children. Adults are encouraged to help kids fishing, but must help us
preserve the fishing just for the kids. Naturally reproducing fish contained
in the pond include:
- Large-mouth bass
- Black crappie
- Black bullheads
- Green sunfish
The program stocks catchable rainbow
trout in the spring and catchable channel catfish
in the early summer. Kids may use live bait and keep the fish they catch up
to the state limit set for each species. Open for fishing during the day only.
The Kids' Fishing Program has a
corps of adult volunteers who are available to help at the park. They are
private citizens who generously volunteer their time to feed the fish, help
kids with fishing techniques, and watch over the park during hours of operation.
You can recognize them by their vests. Feel free to ask the Fishing Hosts
questions or to seek assistance. Hosts will have the phone numbers needed
for emergency services and for other information. If you are interested in becoming a Fishing Host, please call 303-651-8446 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fishing Program Rules
- Only children 15 years or younger are allowed to fish in the lake.
- Only one personally attended rod per actively fishing child is allowed.
- Actively fishing children should be near the fishing rod at all times when angling.
- Children 15 years and younger do not need a state fishing license and may take a full daily bag limit.
- Anglers must comply with all applicable Colorado Division of Wildlife regulations. All persons present in the park must comply with City of Longmont rules and regulations.
- Live bait is allowed.
- Minimum size and possession limits for species kept must comply with Colorado Division of Wildlife regulations.
- Anglers are encouraged to consider others and only take those fish they will consume within the week.
- Parents are encouraged to accompany and assist children fishing but should not actively engage in fishing.
- All parents are responsible and must exercise caution and maintain the safe conduct of their children while fishing.
- Fishing courtesy encourages maintaining a minimum of 50' between other parties fishing.
- Park Hours: 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times and are not permitted in the water.
- Deposit all trash and litter in designated trash receptacles.
- No glass or alcohol permitted.
Download a printable copy of the
Fishing Program Rules (PDF)
Kids' Annual Spring Break Fishing Clinic
Each year, the Chick Clark Fishing Program provides a special opportunity during Spring Break for Longmont youth to learn about local natural resources, participate in fun outdoor activities and catch their own fish! The day includes a free kids’ fishing clinic, free hot dogs for all, and free fishing for kids.
The 2014 Spring Break Fishing Clinic will be held on Saturday, March 29. For more information, including registration details, please see the official event press release.
NOTE: Due to flood damages, the 2014 clinic will NOT be held at Izaak Walton Pond, but instead at Fairgrounds Lake in Roger's Grove.
Walton Clubhouse is available to rent. Reservations can be made through Recreation. Call 303-651-8404 for availability. Final reservations must be made in person, as contract signatures are required. More information can be found at ci.longmont.co.us/rec/rentals/izaak_walton_clubhouse.htm
- Rentals available 6am- 10pm
- 2,000 square foot meeting space
- Tables and Chairs for approximately 95 people
- Patio with BBQ
- Serving kitchen includes small microwave, refrigerator and catering entrance.
- 47 parking spaces - no on-street parking. Parking spaces are not guaranteed, as they are shared by users of the St. Vrain Greenway.
- Rental requests - minimum 7 days prior - first come, first serve!
- Monitored facility
- No alcohol or live music allowed
- Outside restrooms are seasonal and open May through September.
RATES - (2 hour minimum)
- Full payment at contract booking. Paid time must include set up, decorating, take down and clean up.
- Additional fees may be incurred.
- Please call for availability of rental times. Reservations must be made in person as contract signatures are required.
Monday - Friday
- 7 am - 5 pm: $25/hour
- 5 pm - 10 pm: $50/hour
Saturday, Sunday and Holidays
We do not offer discounts for non-profits.
$200.00 security deposit. All fees are paid at time of booking.
The Izaak Walton Shelter (located outside of the Clubhouse) is not available for general reservation and is free on a first come basis. It can be reserved for a full day in conjunction with rental of the Izaak Walton Clubhouse. Call 303-651-8404 for more information.
to List of Parks