Collyer Park - 6th & Collyer
One of the three original parks in the Chicago-Colorado Colony, Collyer Park
was named after Robert Collyer (1823-1912), a blacksmith's son born in Yorkshire,
England and grandson of one of Lord Nelson's sailors at Trafalgar. Collyer
immigrated in 1850, and worked in Pennsylvania as a hammer maker and self-educated
Methodist preacher. A prolific author and widely traveled speaker, he promoted
the movement to Colorado with the idea of building a temperance colony, though
he himself never moved west. Collyer Park was developed around 1871 on a
full city block and is 5 acres in size. In 1920 the City built a bandstand in Collyer Park where
the high school bands gave weekly concerts in the summer. In 1969, the bandstand
was taken down.
Situated in the Historic East Side Neighborhood, this park
hosts many neighborhood activities. Its mature trees offer relaxing shade
and respite from summer heat. An Art in Public Places sculpture called Front Range was carved from a dead silver maple tree, found in the northwest corner of the park in 2007. The park is located just west of Columbine Elementary School.
The restroom was replaced in 2008. There is an approved master plan for the park's redevelopment initiated by the Historic East Side Neighborhood. Its implementation will be part of the City budget process.
The park has two shelters which may be reserved for a $35.00 fee for Longmont residents and $44.00 for non-residents. (link to shelter reservations). Winterization of
the park restrooms begins October 1.
Collyer Park - North and South Shelter
Park Sculpture and Play Area
Dogs allowed on leash, please pick
up after your pet.
- Tennis -2
- Volleyball - 1
- Restrooms - Handicap accessible
- Shelters - 2 with picnic tables & grills
- Parking Spaces - on-street. Please be courteous to neighbors!
Back to List of Parks