Bohn Farm Neighborhood, Neighborhood Groups
One of Longmont’s older neighborhoods, the Bohn Farm Neighborhood is fortunate to still have an open, somewhat rural, atmosphere. This comes in part from open land that comprised the old Bohn dairy farm located in the center of our neighborhood, the last remaining farmland in Old-Town Longmont, and the Izaak Walton Community Park and Pond to our south.
A pleasant mix of mostly single family dwellings including some of Longmont’s historic 3rd Avenue homes, homes that were originally built in other parts of Old-Town and subsequently moved to our neighborhood, quaint older dwellings built in one of Longmont’s earliest subdivisions, recent remodels and new construction.
Neighborhood Grant Projects
Bohn Farm Neighborhood street signs:
A grant was used to design and fabricate Bohn Farm Neighborhood signs to help identify our neighborhood. These distinctive signs show a stylized representation of Bob Bohn’s old dairy barn.
Spruce Ave. Gazebo Park:
Another grant was used to design, build and landscape a small pocket park on a piece of open land just east of the Bohn Farm on Spruce Ave. This neighborhood project produced a wonderful community gathering place that includes gravel walkways, park benches, a Lyons Sandstone “Bohn Farm Neighborhood” sign and gazebo.
Spruce Ave. Landscape and Sidewalk Art:
A third grant was used to add landscaping and sidewalk art along Spruce Ave. This neighborhood project brought families together to “leave their artistic mark” in cement sections of sidewalk. Landscaped additions to various areas between the sidewalk and street help make for a more pleasing Spruce Ave. corridor.
The Old Mill Ditch, also known as the Denio-Taylor Ditch, still runs through our neighborhood along the south side of Spruce Avenue. This mill race carried the water used to turn the waterwheel for the Longmont Flour Mill. As early as 1873 the mill, located just east of our neighborhood where Old Mill Park now sits, was grinding wheat into flour. Information about the Longmont Flour Mill and the Old Mill ditch may be found in The St. Vrain Historical Society’s wonderful history booklet, “They Came to Stay”.
Coffman Heights First and Second Subdivision:
Enoch J. Coffman was a farmer who had already established himself in the Burlington area when the Chicago-Colorado committee arrived in the area looking for town sight. Coffman had crossed the plains in 1861 to try his hand at mining and ended up settling down to farm, building his farmhouse at the corner of what became Spruce Ave. and Bowen St.
Coffman owned a quarter section of the land on which Longmont was founded and, after joining the colony, was elected to the Board of Trustees and appointed superintendent of its agricultural operations.
Coffman’s farm was bounded by Third Ave. to the north, the St Vrain Creek to the south, Bowen St. to the east and Francis St. to the west. Besides the Denio-Taylor ditch running through his property, Coffman had his own irrigation ditch called, appropriately enough, the Coffman ditch. Portions of this ditch can still be seen on the south boundary of the old Bohn dairy farm.
The Coffman Heights First Subdivision is older than 1919, which is as far back as a title search can go. Charles Bohn, the father of Bob Bohn (who owned the farm in our neighborhood since 1933), purchased the house on 1225 Third Ave. shortly after Bob was born in 1911. An 1894 Longmont map shows the First Subdivision as bounded by Third Ave. on the north from Francis alley to Bowen and by Jefferson Ave. (Spruce Ave. today). This also created First, Second, and Third Streets which are now called Lincoln, Grant and Sherman respectively. A 1909 map shows the Coffman Second Subdivision as being the area from Jefferson Ave. (Spruce) south on Bowen to Second Ave., west to Second St. (Grant St.) with First St. extended to Jefferson from Second Ave.
Kent & Davis Addition (as noted on the 1894 map):
The area on the west end of our neighborhood – between Vivian and Judson Streets, was called the Kent & Davis Addition. This subdivision appears on the 1894 map but no housing is indicated. There were several platted streets which were never built or whose names were later changed, such as: Petit St. (now Francis), Kent St. (now Judson), Grace St. (now Vivian), and Wilcox St. (now Sumner). Sunset St., which did not extend south of Third Ave., was called Charlotte. Third Ave. did not extend west of Charlotte (Sunset).
The Burlington R.R., which maintained a Depot on the SW corner of Main St. and Second Ave., owned the track which cut through Coffman’s farm. This is the Lyons spur that today runs north of Izaak Walton Park.
The Donavon Brickyards were located on what became the Bohn dairy farm. This commercial concern provided many of the bricks used to build Main Street business – including the Imperial Hotel on Third and Main. D.C. Donovan’s original house, which was moved in 1928 to 1313 Jefferson Ave. (now Spruce), was originally located on the SE corner of Terry and 5th Ave., next door to Dr. Potter. This house still stands on the old Bohn Dairy Farm.
After the Donavon Brickyards closed the city of Longmont used the clay pits as a city dump. Hundred-year-old bottles can sometimes be found in the depression on the south side of what became the Bohn Dairy farm.
Bohn Dairy Farm:
In 1933, Bob Bohn started farming on land originally owned by D.C. Donavon. Having grown up at 1225 Third Ave, Bob may have seen the D.C. Donovan house (the one he and his family would eventually live in) as it was being moved to the property in 1928. The house, along with the barn that Bob built, still nestles on the edge of open fields along the south side of Spruce Ave.
The Bohn Farm Neighborhood is bounded by First Avenue on the south, Third Avenue on the north, Bowen Street on the east and Sunset Street on the west.
June 30, 2009