-- General Information
- Smoke alarms. Smoke alarms are required to be hardwired and interconnected
in new and existing bedrooms, halls and one each level unless removal
of interior wall or ceiling finishes would be required. In this case,
battery operated devices are acceptable.
- Additions not to enclose bedroom egress windows.
- Landings are required at exterior doors. The landing may be as much
as eight inches lower than the floor of the room, but it must be at least
3' x 3'. There is no limit as to how large it can be.
- Safely glass is required at specific locations. When you draw in the
location of the new windows on the floor plan, the plan reviewer can identify
which ones require safety glass.
- Heat is required in all habitable rooms. Show how the addition will
be heated on the plan.
Existing electrical service may require an upgrade or relocation.
Indicate the size of your electric service (the number on the main breaker)
on your plan. This can help the plan reviewer determine if an upgrade
is needed before you start construction.
When constructing a new valley, use a continuous board under the bottom
cut of the new rafters to provide a solid nailing surface. The board should
be at least 2" thick, nominal and should be at least as wide as the
base of the new rafter